7.01.2012

Mala Rodriguez Review at the State Theatre

On Thursday I went to go check out Mala Rodriguez at State Theatre in Virginia. After making numerous calls to people to see if they wanted to go. Nobody could come out, they were broke, had to work, had other plans, or did not know who this Latin Grammy Award winner from Spain is.
I decided to go up there on the De La Soul tip.. "After the GPS got me a little perdido (took me to another address). I finally arrived at the venue at 9:00p. The parking there was a bit of a hassle, all the signs said that towing is strictly enforced. I walk in the venue and it appeared that a band was either setting up or taking their stuff down. I came to a dissapoinment that Kikoman, a local latin alternative band opened up for her and were taking their stuff down. I had no idea bands here start at 8:00p. I met up with Vmasta (lead rapper of Kikoman)

Mala Came on stage dressed in some kind of masoquista, lingerie outfit. Defining her image as "Mala", She performed with a guitarist/beat maker and drummer. She started off with "La Nina" over a different beat, I was kind of upset bout that, cause I like that original beat. Her show lasted almost 2 hours of her rapping/singing with no hype-man. It was my first time seeing her perform. She had some good songs and some I wasnt too impressed with. She brought on stage an old gringo and told him to take off his clothes in spanish, he didn't understand her and she slapped him on the head....funniest moment. Then for another one of her songs (the one with Juliet Vinegas) she brought all the ladies to dance with her on stage. The venue had at least 100 people in attendence. I think she could of done a better job as an mc or the place could of at least had some kind of host. I didnt feel the energy compared to seeing other female rappers. And Mala has a voice meaning she can sing and rap but her live performance, i think she could step it up a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment